Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date: 2005-03-09 06:13:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This is a troll, isn't it?

> Perhaps it's a 419 :-). But if so I can't see the catch yet - must be
> very subtle.

Nothing very subtle about it. In the first place, I'm not going to
waste my breath debating anyone who thinks "Linux" == "every Unix-ish
platform". In the second, I'm not going to waste my breath debating
anyone who thinks that Windows is now, or is likely to soon become, a
reasonable platform to run a production database on. We are supporting
Windows as a Postgres platform for the benefit of developers who want to
do testing on their laptops (and for reasons best known to themselves
feel a need to run Windows on their laptops). If anyone comes to me and
says "I lost data because I was running PG on Windows", I'm going to say
"you picked the wrong OS" not "you picked the wrong database".