Re: Help with: my bits moved right off the end of the world!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martin Weinberg <weinberg(at)osprey(dot)astro(dot)umass(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help with: my bits moved right off the end of the world!
Date: 2001-06-05 20:50:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Martin Weinberg <weinberg(at)osprey(dot)astro(dot)umass(dot)edu> writes:
> Folks, we have been getting:
> FATAL 1: my bits moved right off the end of the world!
> Recreate index pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index.

Oh, that old thing :-(. If you have a way to reproduce this from a
standing start (virgin database) I'd be very interested to see it.
We've seen sporadic reports of this problem for a long time but no
useful debugging information. I think that the problem might be fixed
in 7.1, but I can't be sure when I've never had any field failure under
the microscope.

> I understand that this is a b-tree index problem but how does
> one recreate pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index?

See REINDEX. Also consider updating.