Re: Server Side C programming Environment Set up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>, Kemin Zhou <kemin(dot)zhou(at)ferring(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Side C programming Environment Set up
Date: 2004-04-23 12:01:31
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I'd be happy to write more documentation, howtos, or scripts and tools that
> enable users to set up a proper build system, but I don't think it's our
> business to try to write our own build system framework.

Any build framework is going to have limitations, obviously, and it
would be bad to design things to prevent subprojects from having their
own. But I think that is no argument for not having a build framework
at all. If we try to go that route, we'll be killing a lot of useful
code that isn't quite valuable enough (in isolation) for people to
expend the work to create their own build system for.

Even more to the point, we've already *got* a build framework, which by
demonstration works for many of the bits of code that we are talking
about spinning off. What we have to do is adjust it so it still works
for them after they're spun off. It seems silly to abandon the
not-trivial work you and other people have already put into the contrib
build system; and also silly to expect gborg projects to individually
adapt it to their needs.