Re: TABLESAMPLE patch is really in pretty sad shape

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TABLESAMPLE patch is really in pretty sad shape
Date: 2015-07-23 22:39:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> OK, so "InitSampleScan" for a function called at ExecInitSampleScan time
> (which we might as well make optional), and then we'll use BeginSampleScan
> for the function that gets the parameters. The restart/ReScan function
> goes away since BeginSampleScan will take its place.

Here's a WIP patch implementing things this way. I've also taken the time
to do a complete code review, and fixed quite a large number of things,
some cosmetic and some not so much. I have not yet touched the tsm
contrib modules (so they won't even compile...), but I'm reasonably happy
with the state of the core code now.

Barring objections, I plan to fix up the contrib modules to match and
back-patch this into 9.5.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
tsm-fixes-1.0.patch text/x-diff 221.2 KB