Re: big text field -> message type 0x44

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tomas Berndtsson <tomas(at)nocrew(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: big text field -> message type 0x44
Date: 2002-12-04 23:00:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tomas Berndtsson <tomas(at)nocrew(dot)org> writes:
> After it tries again, it always gets error from recv() for some reason
> that I don't know. I also don't understand why errno is set to ENOTTY
> at this point, that makes no sense at all.

Are you sure it is set? Try setting errno=0 just before recv() (inside
the retry loop). Maybe recv() is neglecting to set it in this case.

I suddenly have a recollection of something about some platform failing
to set errno when using threads. Try searching the PG archives.

> By skipping the trying again if-statement, pqReadData() will always
> return proper data, and let the calling function deal with the fact
> that there is more data to be read.

I have no confidence in this. If the calling function comes back for
more data, why wouldn't the recv() fail the same way? A few more
instructions in between shouldn't change its behavior, one would think.