Re: 2007 DST change not working

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2007 DST change not working
Date: 2007-01-01 21:41:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca> writes:
> fbax=> show time zone;
> TimeZone
> ----------------
> Canada/Eastern

Oh, there's your problem: as of 8.1.5's version of the zoneinfo files,
it wasn't clear what Canada was going to do. Looking at our CVS history
it seems the zoneinfo people only did something about it in mid-2006:

+# From Paul Eggert (2006-06-27):
+# For now, assume all of DST-observing Canada will fall into line with the
+# new US DST rules,

This is in CVS for 8.1.6 but not released yet. What I'd suggest is
grabbing the share/timezone/* files out of an 8.2.0 release, which
does have the update. You might be able to get away with just copying
your /usr/share/zoneinfo tree into Postgres' share/timezone directory,
but be prepared to undo that because it could break things entirely:
there's more than one zoneinfo file format out there.

Also note you need to restart the postmaster after updating zoneinfo,
I don't think there's any provision for noticing updates automatically.