Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Repair two places where SIGTERM exit couldleave shared memory

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Repair two places where SIGTERM exit couldleave shared memory
Date: 2008-04-17 15:48:41
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Is this so? This happened to me the other day (hence the question about
> having COPY note failure earlier) because the disk filled up. I was
> confused because du showed nothing. Eventually I did an lsof and found
> the postgres backend had a large number of open file handles to deleted
> files (each one gigabyte).

The backend, or the bgwriter? Please be specific.

The bgwriter should drop open file references after the next checkpoint,
but I don't recall any forcing function for regular backends to close
open files.

8.3 and HEAD should ftruncate() the first segment of a relation but I
think they just unlink the rest. Is it sane to think of ftruncate then
unlink on the non-first segments, to alleviate the disk-space issue when
someone else is holding the file open?