Observed checkpointer crashes in 9.4.4 on Fedora 22

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Observed checkpointer crashes in 9.4.4 on Fedora 22
Date: 2015-10-28 21:47:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Can anyone identify a likely cause of the stack traces reported here:

https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/faf/reports/853674/

Apparently, what's happening is that PGSemaphoreUnlock is hitting

elog(FATAL, "semop(id=%d) failed: %m", sema->semId);

and then that's being promoted to a PANIC, presumably because we're
inside a critical section.

I have no more data than what's on that webpage --- I just got an
auto-notification that the number of similar reports had reached 10.
Those might all be from the same Fedora user, for all I can tell;
in which case it might have some pedestrian explanation.