Re: Permission denied errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: zeki(at)mokhtarzada(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Permission denied errors
Date: 2005-08-23 14:10:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

zeki(at)mokhtarzada(dot)com writes:
> Hello all, I woke up this morning and found my installation of Postgres
> (7.3.2) spewing the following error message:

> ERROR: cannot count blocks for ev_log -- open failed: Permission denied
> ERROR: cannot count blocks for ev_log -- open failed: Permission denied
> ERROR: cannot count blocks for ev_log -- open failed: Permission denied
> ERROR: cannot count blocks for ev_log -- open failed: Permission denied

Look around in the database directory. It kinda looks like one or more
files or directories had had its ownership or permissions changed so
that the server can't read it anymore.

Postgres itself would not do such a thing, so the culprit is either
administrator error or flaky disk hardware. After you fix the problem
by hand, you'll want to try to figure out which.