Re: pg_advisor schema proof of concept

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_advisor schema proof of concept
Date: 2004-03-24 18:02:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> On Wednesday 24 March 2004 15:52, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't know where you are planning on going with this. If it's only to
>> be a contrib tool, it's okay to depend on plpgsql. But we couldn't
>> incorporate it into the base system because plpgsql isn't part of the
>> base system.

> So Tom, are you suggesting:
> 1. A core in the base distribution (C / SQL)
> 2. command-line tool in the base distro (pg_advisor)
> 3. more open project (gborg?) to let people design/add tests, some of which
> will eventually end up in the standard set in the base distro.

I'm not suggesting anything ;-). Just pointing out a constraint that
might affect you guys' choices of where to go with this.

There has been some talk of installing plpgsql by default, in which case
the constraint would vanish anyway. So I wouldn't put a huge amount of
emphasis on it at this stage. I just wanted to point it out so you
wouldn't paint yourselves into a corner without realizing it.