Re: Small patch: fix warnings during compilation on FreeBSD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small patch: fix warnings during compilation on FreeBSD
Date: 2016-03-11 15:40:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:13 AM, Aleksander Alekseev
> <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> Sounds like quite a dirty hack to me. Besides so far we have only two
>> procedures from xlocale.h and this requires two checks. If we go this
>> way someday there will be 15 checks for every procedure from xlocale.h

> Eh, probably not. Most likely, if you check whether one of the
> functions you care about is in that file, that's good enough.

Yeah. In practice, there are exactly two cases we care about: either
both of these functions will be declared in <stdlib.h> like POSIX
says, or both of them will be in <xlocale.h>. There's no need to
work harder than we have to do to figure that out.

I'm totally unimpressed with the proposal of depending on the __FreeBSD__
macro instead of having a proper configure check. For one thing, we
have no idea whether NetBSD or OpenBSD have this same issue. For
another, it might be version-specific, or might become so if FreeBSD
decides to start following POSIX on this point someday.