Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-29 06:44:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> But my issue is that libpq or any other client should be smart enough to
> not have to assume the location.

Er, how do you propose to do that? The client cannot learn the correct
location from the postmaster --- it must figure out *on its own* where
the socket file is. AFAICS you can't avoid having hardwired knowledge
about how to do that in the client.

You or somebody else previously suggested hardwiring the location of
a configuration file, rather than the socketfile itself, but I can't
see that that really improves matters in this context. In particular,
changing to such a method would still break backwards compatibility.