Re: BUG #1027: incorrect result from 'order by'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: copson(at)u(dot)arizona(dot)edu
Cc: "PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1027: incorrect result from 'order by'
Date: 2003-12-25 16:19:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"PostgreSQL Bugs List" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:

You initdb'd in the wrong locale. You are expecting sort order as in
C locale, but that isn't the default locale setting in recent Red Hat
releases --- en_US is probably what you're using, and that result is
correct according to en_US. (If you don't believe me, try it with
"sort".)

> I have tried databases with SQL_ASCII, LATIN1 and LATIN2
> encoding with the same result.

Database encoding doesn't affect this. You'll need to re-initdb
with the desired locale environment.