Re: Archives policy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Archives policy
Date: 2009-04-16 17:02:10
Lists: pgsql-www

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Dave Page wrote:
>> Yeah, thanks for raising that! If we catch inappropriate messages almost
>> immediately, it should just be a case of stopping mhonarc from running
>> and deleting the messages from the mbox file. If they've been there are
>> while (and renumbering messages will be a problem)

> Isn't that why Alvaro(?) went through all that work getting it so that we
> could reference messages by MessageID? To remove the worry concerning
> renumbering?

No, because all the internal links are still by message number, as are
uncountably many bookmarks and search engine entries that are outside
our control. What Alvaro did is a convenience for some cases where you
have the message in your own mailbox and want to produce an archive
URL for it easily.

I agree that the correct way to handle such a situation is to replace
the message body with "Deleted by request of poster" or something
like that.