Re: multiple inserts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Oren Mazor" <oren(dot)mazor(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: multiple inserts
Date: 2005-06-17 14:25:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Oren Mazor" <oren(dot)mazor(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm wondering if it is at all possible to do a mass insert into a table
> using only a single query?
> Something along the lines of:
> insert into mytable values (val1), (val2), (val3)

We should have that (it's in the SQL spec) but no one's gotten around to
it. You could fake it with

insert into mytable
select val1
union all
select val2
union all

But if you are thinking of really large amounts of data (like more than
a few dozen rows), you really want to use COPY instead. Neither the
union approach nor the still-unwritten multi-insert would be likely to
be pleasant to use for thousands/millions of rows.