Re: client side syntax error localisation for psql (v1)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: client side syntax error localisation for psql (v1)
Date: 2004-03-11 16:21:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> Please find attached my first attempt at providing a localisation
> information on the client side for syntax errors in "psql".

"Localisation" tends to mean something quite different around here.
I'd suggest renaming the function to something like ReportSyntaxErrorPosition.

Would it read better to add "..." at the front and/or back of the query
extract, when you have actually truncated text at that end?

The "on line N" bit seems just noise to me.