Re: initdb / bootstrap design

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: initdb / bootstrap design
Date: 2022-02-20 01:46:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> However, redirection does sound like a very easy answer ...

I tried it like that (full patch attached) and the results are
intensely disappointing. On my Mac laptop, the time needed for
50 iterations of initdb drops from 16.8 sec to 16.75 sec.
On my RHEL8 workstation, the change is actually in the wrong
direction, from 18.75s to 18.9s. I conclude that the time
spent on postgres.bki data transfer is so far down in the noise
as to be overwhelmed by irrelevancies. (Which, in fact, is
what perf told me before I started --- but I'd hoped that the
number of system calls would diminish noticeably. Seems not.)

Not sure that this is worth pursuing any further.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
make-backend-read-postgres.bki-directly-1.patch text/x-diff 9.5 KB