Re: BUG #14629: ALTER TABLE VALIDATE CONSTRAINTS does not obey NO INHERIT clause

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14629: ALTER TABLE VALIDATE CONSTRAINTS does not obey NO INHERIT clause
Date: 2017-04-24 04:16:51
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 2017/04/22 3:40, buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net wrote:

> Bug reference: 14629
> Logged by: Hans Buschmann
> Email address: buschmann(at)nidsa(dot)net
> PostgreSQL version: 9.6.2
> Operating system: Windows x64
>

> Given these both tables (orders_archiv inherits orders) on 9.6.2 Windows
> x64
> (cut/paste from psql)
>
> xxxdb=# \d orders_archiv;
> Check constraints:
> "ck_or_old" CHECK (or_season < 24) NO INHERIT
> Inherits: orders
>

> xxxdb=# \d orders
> Check constraints:
> "ck_or_new" CHECK (or_season >= 24) NO INHERIT NOT VALID
> Triggers:
> tr_orders_insert BEFORE INSERT ON orders FOR EACH ROW WHEN
> (new.or_season < 24) EXECUTE PROCEDURE fn_orders_insert()
> Number of child tables: 1 (Use \d+ to list them.)
>

> When applying these commands to the parent table, the following errors are
> returned:
>
> xxxdb=# alter table orders validate constraint ck_or_new;
> ERROR: constraint "ck_or_new" of relation "orders_archiv" does not exist
>

> xxxdb=# alter table only orders validate constraint ck_or_new;
> ERROR: constraint must be validated on child tables too
>
> Background:
> From our original partitioning of quite a lot of tables according to
> xx_season columns (a season is a half year period) I dropped and recreated
> the check constraintsin a not valid state.
>
> At the end of the script to move the data from 2 seasons into the archiv
> tables I tried to reenable the check constraints and encountered those two
> errors.
>
> It seems that I can circumvent these errors by recreating the constraints
> without the not valid clause.
>
> Do I miss something here ?

Looks indeed like a bug to me. Performing VALIDATE CONSTRAINT on what is
a non-inheritable constraint shouldn't look for that constraint in the
child tables. Attached patch fixes that. Should be applied in all of the
supported branches.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-VALIDATE-CONSTRAINT-to-consider-NO-INHERIT-attri.patch text/x-diff 4.2 KB