Re: installing postgre

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lduren02(at)aol(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing postgre
Date: 2004-01-19 04:32:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

Lduren02(at)aol(dot)com writes:
> I began with a laptop, installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3. I do not know
> what is included or not on this version.

RHEL3 by default includes only the client-side programs for Postgres,
not the Postgres server. If you want to run a self-contained database
then you need the server packages too. IIRC you can get them off the
"extras" CD, or via Red Hat Network.

After you've installed the software you need to run initdb and then
start the database server. See the Postgres administrator's
documentation for details.