Re: building libpq.a static library

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeroen Ooms <jeroen(at)berkeley(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: building libpq.a static library
Date: 2017-07-31 21:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 7/12/17 11:11, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, we used to have support for building static libpq, but
>> we got rid of it a long time ago. I couldn't find the exact
>> spot in some desultory trawling of the commit history.

> We still build and install static libraries.

Hm, I'd taken Jeroen's complaint at face value, but that sure
explains why I couldn't find where it'd been removed ;-)

The answer may then be that he's working with a vendor-packaged version
and the vendor chose to enforce their distro policy about not shipping
static libraries by patching that build step out of libpq's Makefile.