Re: Psql & Readline

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Psql & Readline
Date: 2002-02-16 17:40:48
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

"Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> On one of my machines, psql will not allow me to use tab-completion
> and
> the "up" key to repeat commands. On other machines, this was because
> I didn't have the "readline" library installed. However, this machine
> does have it. What else am I missing?

Did you build PG from source on that machine? If so, I'll bet that
configure didn't find libreadline. You could check this by seeing if
the psql executable references libreadline (try "ldd", or local
equivalent, eg "chatr" on HPUX).

The most common cause of this situation is that you installed the
libreadline RPM but not the libreadline-devel RPM. You need both
to build a readline-using app from source.