Re: SELECT constant; takes 15x longer on 9.0?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SELECT constant; takes 15x longer on 9.0?
Date: 2010-04-06 14:28:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Continuing the performance test:

> DBD, like a number of monitoring systems, does "pings" on the database
> which look like this:

> SELECT 'DBD::Pg ping test';

> In our test, which does 5801 of these pings during the test, they take
> an average of 15x longer to execute on 9.0 as 8.4 ( 0.77ms vs. 0.05ms ).

There's something wrong with your test setup. Or, if you'd like me to
think that there isn't, provide a self-contained test case. I ran a
small program that does

for (i = 0; i < 10000; i++)
{
res = PQexec(conn, "SELECT 'DBD::Pg ping test'");
PQclear(res);
}

and I only see a few percent difference between HEAD and 8.4.3,
on two different machines. (It does appear that HEAD is a bit slower
for this, which might or might not be something to worry about.)