Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Tim Uckun <timuckun(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timestamp with vs without time zone.
Date: 2021-09-21 15:41:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 9/20/21 11:00 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
>> I am hoping to get some clarification on timestamp with time zone.
>>
>> My understanding is that timestamp with time zone stores data in UTC
>> but displays it in your time zone. Does this also work on queries? If
>> I query between noon and 2:00 PM on some date in time zone XYZ does pg
>> translate the query to UTC before sending it to the server?
>>
>> So does the database know the timestamp is in auckland time when the
>> client is connecting from a server on UTC?

It might be more clear if you realize that there is no client-side logic
involved here. The rotation to/from UTC happens in timestamptz_in or
timestamptz_out, based on the server's TimeZone setting.

It's incumbent on clients to set TimeZone correctly if they want
unlabeled timestamps to be interpreted in a particular zone.