Re: Archives policy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Archives policy
Date: 2009-04-16 16:55:30
Lists: pgsql-www

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> Illegal in the united states ATM because that's where the server is. We
>> have no choice there.

> Then we'll need to move the server ... the raw mail archives are *not* in
> the US, and are not subject to their laws ...

Moving the server just means there's some different set of laws to worry
about; Canadian or Panamanian or wherever. One set might be more or less
friendly to us but I don't think we are going to choose our server
locations on that basis.

The real point in my mind is that mentioning any such consideration in
our posted policy just encourages people to try legal threats first
(as I gather occurred recently to prompt Dave to worry about this topic
at all). If they actually have a basis for such threats they'll think
of it soon enough; we don't need to encourage it via a posted policy.