Re: 64-bit sequences

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Paul Caskey <paul(at)nmxs(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 64-bit sequences
Date: 2000-06-24 04:23:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Paul Caskey <paul(at)nmxs(dot)com> writes:
> Okay, cool. Similar subject: What about making the oid 64-bit?

Let's just say you'd be opening a *much* larger can of worms there,
because Oid is used all over the place whereas only a few routines
know anything about sequences.

This is (or should be) on the TODO list but I wouldn't recommend it
as your first backend programming project.

> At first glance, this seems easier to change than the sequence
> generator, since you guys do a good job of using sizeof() and the Oid
> typedef.

Except for all the places that assume Oid is interchangeable with int.
Finding them is left as an exercise for the student...