Re: WIP patch: add (PRE|POST)PROCESSOR options to COPY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP patch: add (PRE|POST)PROCESSOR options to COPY
Date: 2012-11-14 16:20:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Simon Riggs escribi:
>> On 14 November 2012 15:09, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Here, progname for COPY IN is the user-supplied program that takes filename as
>>> its argument and that writes on standard output.

>> I think we should be using FDWs/SRFs here, not inventing new
>> syntax/architectures for executing external code, so -1 from me.

> Hmm, but then you are forced to write C code, whereas the "external
> program" proposal could have you writing a only shell script instead.

I disagree with Simon's objection also, because neither reading from
nor writing to an external program is likely to fit the model of
reading/updating a table very well. For instance, there's no good
reason to suppose that reading twice will give the same results. So
force-fitting this usage into the FDW model is not going to work well.

Nor do I really see the argument why a "pipe_fdw" module is cleaner
than a "COPY TO/FROM pipe" feature.