Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing
Date: 2009-05-07 16:34:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> 2. There seem to be some corner cases where creating a table in the new
>> database will not create a toast table even though there was one in the

> Hmm, what about toast reloptions? They are not a problem now of course, but
> could be in a 8.4->8.5 migration.

I don't think it's an issue. The type of scenario we are looking at is
where there is no need for a toast table *now*, but there might be some
old rows hanging around that got toasted anyway. (Say, you originally
had two wide varchar columns and then dropped one.) It seems unlikely
that preserving the reloptions for the toast table is going to be all
that critical in this type of scenario.