Re: A single escape required for log_filename

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A single escape required for log_filename
Date: 2009-01-13 21:58:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have perfectly good log rotation utility that exists on my OS. (yes I
> am aware of the possibility of losing a log entry when using logrotate).

You might think you do, but it won't work with PG; external rotators
only work with programs that respond to SIGHUP by re-opening their log
files.

> The behavior does not appear to be documented in the code or in the
> docs.

Don't know where you looked ...

log_filename (string)

When logging_collector is enabled, this parameter sets the file names of
the created log files. The value is treated as a strftime pattern, so
%-escapes can be used to specify time-varying file names. (Note that if
there are any time-zone-dependent %-escapes, the computation is done in
the zone specified by log_timezone.) If no %-escapes are present,
PostgreSQL will append the epoch of the new log file's creation
time. For example, if log_filename were server_log, then the chosen file
name would be server_log.1093827753 for a log starting at Sun Aug 29
19:02:33 2004 MST. This parameter can only be set in the postgresql.conf
file or on the server command line.