Re: GNU readline and BSD license

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GNU readline and BSD license
Date: 2000-12-30 01:42:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But given that readline availability during the last five years was
> apparently just fine I don't understand this discussion at all.

Indeed. You could make a better case that we shouldn't be including
in our distro the ODBC driver (LGPL) or the several contrib modules
that are GPL'd than that psql's optional use of libreadline means
we are in violation of GPL.

I'm okay with including those things because of the GPL's "mere
aggregation" exception --- none of the rest of the system uses any
of those modules, so our inclusion of them in the distro looks like
mere aggregation to me. But it's a much closer judgment call than
the readline situation.