Re: To whom an SSL client crt (postgresql.crt) is issued

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: k(dot)p(dot)d(dot)lehre(at)medisin(dot)uio(dot)no
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: To whom an SSL client crt (postgresql.crt) is issued
Date: 2005-12-19 06:08:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

k(dot)p(dot)d(dot)lehre(at)medisin(dot)uio(dot)no writes:
> The docs do not mention that the client crt has to be issued
> to the user trying to log on. Isn't it a point TO WHOM the client crt is
> issued? Is this the way it is meant to be?

Restricting that would require assumptions-not-in-evidence about
certificate issuers using names that sync with database user names.
But perhaps more to the point, Postgres does not use SSL certificates
as a user authentication mechanism, only as a transport privacy
mechanism. Using SSL is not sufficient grounds for deciding you
can use "trust" auth mode.