Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, eg(at)cybertec(dot)at
Subject: Re: CREATE SYNONYM ...
Date: 2006-03-14 16:29:37
Lists: pgsql-patches

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hans-J=FCrgen_Sch=F6nig?= <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Does any SQL-like database system other than Oracle have this feature?

> the most popular are: db2, max db, informix, ms sql.
> in other words: all databases which are widely used and widely accepted.

That argument only holds water if they all support it with the same
semantics, a fact not in evidence. I'm not impressed by whether they
all have things they call synonyms, unless they all work alike. What
are their approaches to permissions? What happens if the referenced
object is dropped or modified? Can you make a synonym to something that
doesn't exist yet? What sorts of objects can have synonyms?