Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?
Date: 2024-04-23 20:04:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 03:20:10PM -0500, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 04:08:08PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> The problem with the README is that it describes that process,
>> rather than the now-typical workflow of incrementally keeping
>> the tree indented. I don't think we want to remove the info
>> about how to do the full-monty process, but you're right that
>> the README needs to explain the incremental method as being
>> the one most developers would usually use.
>>
>> Want to write some text?
>
> Yup, I'll put something together.

Here is a first attempt. I'm not tremendously happy with it, but it at
least gets something on the page to build on. I was originally going to
copy/paste the relevant steps into the description of the incremental
process, but that seemed kind-of silly, so I instead just pointed to the
relevant steps of the "full" process, along with the deviations from those
steps. That's a little more work for the reader, but maybe it isn't too
bad... I plan to iterate on this patch some more.

--
Nathan Bossart

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgindent_readme_v1.patch text/x-diff 1.9 KB