Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Koval <d(dot)koval(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
Date: 2024-04-18 17:49:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Apr-18, Alexander Lakhin wrote:

> I think the feature implementation should also provide tab completion
> for SPLIT/MERGE.

I don't think that we should be imposing on feature authors or
committers the task of filling in tab-completion for whatever features
they contribute. I mean, if they want to add that, cool; but if not,
somebody else can do that, too. It's not a critical piece.

Now, if we're talking about whether a patch to add tab-completion to a
feature post feature-freeze is acceptable, I think it absolutely is
(even though you could claim that it's a new psql feature). But for
sure we shouldn't mandate that a feature be reverted just because it
lacks tab-completion -- such lack is not an open-item against the
feature in that sense.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"That sort of implies that there are Emacs keystrokes which aren't obscure.