Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Maxim Orlov <orlovmg(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Palak Chaturvedi <chaturvedipalak1911(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Nitin Jadhav <nitinjadhavpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Extension Enhancement: Buffer Invalidation in pg_buffercache
Date: 2024-04-08 00:10:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2024-04-07 11:07:58 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I thought of a better name for the bufmgr.c function though:
> InvalidateUnpinnedBuffer(). That name seemed better to me after I
> festooned it with warnings about why exactly it's inherently racy and
> only for testing use.

I still dislike that, fwiw, due to the naming similarity to
InvalidateBuffer(), which throws away dirty buffer contents too. Which
obviously isn't acceptable from "userspace". I'd just name it
pg_buffercache_evict() - given that the commit message's first paragraph uses
"it is useful to be able to evict arbitrary blocks" that seems to describe
things at least as well as "invalidate"?

Greetings,

Andres Freund