Re: add AVX2 support to simd.h

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: John Naylor <johncnaylorls(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add AVX2 support to simd.h
Date: 2024-03-19 03:16:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 10:03:36AM +0700, John Naylor wrote:
> I took a brief look, and 0001 isn't quite what I had in mind. I can't
> quite tell what it's doing with the additional branches and "goto
> retry", but I meant something pretty simple:

Do you mean 0002? 0001 just adds a 2-register loop for remaining elements
once we've exhausted what can be processed with the 4-register loop.

> - if short, do one element at a time and return

0002 does this.

> - if long, do one block unconditionally, then round the start pointer
> up so that "end - start" is an exact multiple of blocks, and loop over
> them

0002 does the opposite of this. That is, after we've completed as many
blocks as possible, we move the iterator variable back to "end -
block_size" and do one final iteration to cover all the remaining elements.

--
Nathan Bossart