Re: Add new error_action COPY ON_ERROR "log"

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com, torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com, jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Add new error_action COPY ON_ERROR "log"
Date: 2024-03-18 03:05:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Fri, 15 Mar 2024 16:57:25 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 07:32:37PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> > I'm attaching the v8 patch set implementing the above idea. With this,
> > [1] is sent to the client, [2] is sent to the server log. This
> > approach not only reduces the duplicate info in the NOTICE and CONTEXT
> > messages, but also makes it easy for users to get all the necessary
> > info in the NOTICE message without having to set extra parameters to
> > get CONTEXT message.
>
> In terms of eliminating the information duplication while allowing
> clients to know the value, the attribute and the line involved in the
> conversion failure, the approach of tweaking the context information
> has merits, I guess.
>
> How do others feel about this kind of tuning?

If required, I think that we have already included the minimum
information necessary for the primary diagnosis, including locations,
within the primary messages. Here is an example:

> LOG: 00000: invalid record length at 0/18049F8: expected at least 24, got 0

And I believe that CONTEXT, if it exists, is augmentation information
to the primary messages. The objective of the precedent for the use of
relname_only was somewhat different, but this use also seems legit.

In short, I think the distribution between message types (primary and
context) is fine as it is in the latest patch.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center