Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <me(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions
Date: 2024-03-08 09:58:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Mar-08, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> This works only if '* 'is specified as the only one character in
> backtrace_functions = '*', right? If yes, what if someone sets
> backtrace_functions = 'foo, bar, *, baz'?

It throws an error, as expected. This is a useless waste of resources:
checking for "foo" and "bar" is pointless, since the * is going to give
a positive match anyway. And the "baz" is a waste of memory which is
never going to be checked.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I love the Postgres community. It's all about doing things _properly_. :-)"