Re: vacuumdb/clusterdb/reindexdb: allow specifying objects to process in all databases

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuumdb/clusterdb/reindexdb: allow specifying objects to process in all databases
Date: 2024-03-06 22:22:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 05, 2024 at 11:20:13PM +0000, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> I'm not sure how useful these changes are, but I don't really object.
> You need to update the synopsis section of the docs though.

Thanks for taking a look. I updated the synopsis sections in v3.

I also spent some more time on the reindexdb patch (0003). I previously
had decided to restrict combinations of tables, schemas, and indexes
because I felt it was "ambiguous and inconsistent with vacuumdb," but
looking closer, I think that's the wrong move. reindexdb already supports
such combinations, which it interprets to mean it should reindex each
listed object. So, I removed that change in v3.

Even though reindexdb allows combinations of tables, schema, and indexes,
it doesn't allow combinations of "system catalogs" and other objects, and
it's not clear why. In v3, I've removed this restriction, which ended up
simplifying the 0003 patch a bit. Like combinations of tables, schemas,
and indexes, reindexdb will now interpret combinations that include
--system to mean it should reindex each listed object as well as the system
catalogs.

Ideally, we'd allow similar combinations in vacuumdb, but I believe that
would require a much more invasive patch, and I've already spent far more
time on this change than I wanted to.

--
Nathan Bossart

Attachment Content-Type Size
v3-0001-vacuumdb-allow-specifying-tables-or-schemas-to-pr.patch text/x-diff 6.9 KB
v3-0002-clusterdb-allow-specifying-tables-to-process-in-a.patch text/x-diff 4.3 KB
v3-0003-reindexdb-allow-specifying-objects-to-process-in-.patch text/x-diff 10.1 KB