Re: Proposal to add page headers to SLRU pages

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Li, Yong" <yoli(at)ebay(dot)com>
Cc: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Bagga, Rishu" <bagrishu(at)amazon(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Debnath, Shawn" <sdn(at)ebay(dot)com>, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, "Shyrabokau, Anton" <antons(at)ebay(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal to add page headers to SLRU pages
Date: 2024-03-06 13:11:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I suppose this is important to do if we ever want to move SLRUs into
shared buffers. However, I wonder about the extra time this adds to
pg_upgrade. Is this something we should be concerned about? Is there
any measurement/estimates to tell us how long this would be? Right now,
if you use a cloning strategy for the data files, the upgrade should be
pretty quick ... but the amount of data in pg_xact and pg_multixact
could be massive, and the rewrite is likely to take considerable time.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Las cosas son buenas o malas segun las hace nuestra opinión" (Lisias)