Re: Some shared memory chunks are allocated even if related processes won't start

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some shared memory chunks are allocated even if related processes won't start
Date: 2024-03-04 08:09:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Mar-04, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) wrote:

> Dear hackers,
>
> While reading codes, I found that ApplyLauncherShmemInit() and
> AutoVacuumShmemInit() are always called even if they would not be
> launched.

Note that there are situations where the autovacuum launcher is started
even though autovacuum is nominally turned off, and I suspect your
proposal would break that. IIRC this occurs when the Xid or multixact
counters cross the max_freeze_age threshold.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Porque Kim no hacía nada, pero, eso sí,