Re: Relation bulk write facility

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Relation bulk write facility
Date: 2024-02-24 21:29:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2024-02-24 11:50:24 -0800, Noah Misch wrote:
> > We see this happen with both xlc and gcc (new enough to know how to do
> > this). One idea would be that the AIX *linker* is unable to align it,
> > as that is the common tool-chain component here (and unlike stack and
> > heap objects, this scope is the linker's job). There is a
> > pre-existing example of a zero-buffer that is at file scope like that:
> > pg_prewarm.c. Perhaps it doesn't get tested?
> >
> > Hmm.
>
> GCC docs do say "For some linkers, the maximum supported alignment may be very
> very small.", but AIX "man LD" says "data sections are aligned on a boundary
> so as to satisfy the alignment of all CSECTs in the sections". It also has -H
> and -K flags to force some particular higher alignment.

Some xlc manual [1] states that

n must be a positive power of 2, or NIL. NIL can be specified as either
__attribute__((aligned())) or __attribute__((aligned)); this is the same as
specifying the maximum system alignment (16 bytes on all UNIX platforms).

Which does seems to suggest that this is a platform restriction.

Let's just drop AIX. This isn't the only alignment issue we've found and the
solution for those isn't so much a fix as forcing everyone to carefully only
look into one direction and not notice the cliffs to either side.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/SSGH2K_13.1.2/com.ibm.compilers.aix.doc/proguide.pdf