Re: common signal handler protection

From: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: andres(at)anarazel(dot)de, noah(at)leadboat(dot)com
Subject: Re: common signal handler protection
Date: 2024-02-07 02:39:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 03:20:08PM -0600, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> * Overhead: The wrapper handler calls a function pointer and getpid(),
> which AFAICT is a real system call on most platforms. That might not be
> a tremendous amount of overhead, but it's not zero, either. I'm
> particularly worried about signal-heavy code like synchronous
> replication. (Are there other areas that should be tested?) If this is
> a concern, perhaps we could allow certain processes to opt out of this
> wrapper handler, provided we believe it is unlikely to fork or that the
> handler code is safe to run in grandchild processes.

I finally spent some time trying to measure this overhead. Specifically, I
sent many, many SIGUSR2 signals to postmaster, which just uses
dummy_handler(), i.e., does nothing. I was just barely able to get
wrapper_handler() to show up in the first page of 'perf top' in this
extreme case, which leads me to think that the overhead might not be a
problem.

--
Nathan Bossart