Re: Change COPY ... ON_ERROR ignore to ON_ERROR ignore_row

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com, jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com, david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change COPY ... ON_ERROR ignore to ON_ERROR ignore_row
Date: 2024-02-06 00:39:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Mon, 5 Feb 2024 17:22:56 +0900, Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote in
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2024 11:28:59 +0900
> torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > > Based on this, I've made a patch.
> > > based on COPY Synopsis: ON_ERROR 'error_action'
> > > on_error 'null', the keyword NULL should be single quoted.
> >
> > As you mentioned, single quotation seems a little odd..
> >
> > I'm not sure what is the best name and syntax for this feature, but
> > since current error_action are verbs('stop' and 'ignore'), I feel 'null'
> > might not be appropriate.
>
> I am not in favour of using 'null' either, so I suggested to use
> "set_to_null" or more generic syntax like "set_to (col, val)" in my
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20240129172858.ccb6c77c3be95a295e2b2b44%40sraoss.co.jp

Tom sugggested using a separate option, and I agree with the
suggestion. Taking this into consideration, I imagined something like
the following, for example. Although I'm not sure we are actually
going to do whole-tuple replacement, the action name in this example
has the suffix '-column'.

COPY (on_error 'replace-colomn', replacement 'null') ..

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center