Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, i(dot)lazarev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gilles Darold <gilles(at)darold(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Anastasia Lubennikova <a(dot)lubennikova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers mailing list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration
Date: 2024-01-28 12:49:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Jan-27, Andrey Borodin wrote:

> thanks for the ping! Most important parts of this patch set are discussed in [0]. If that patchset will be committed, I'll withdraw entry for this thread from commitfest.
> There's a version of Multixact-specific optimizations [1], but I hope they will not be necessary with effective caches developed in [0]. It seems to me that most important part of those optimization is removing sleeps under SLRU lock on standby [2] by Kyotaro Horiguchi. But given that cache optimizations took 4 years to get closer to commit, I'm not sure we will get this optimization any time soon...

I'd appreciate it if you or Horiguchi-san can update his patch to remove
use of usleep in favor of a CV in multixact, and keep this CF entry to
cover it.

Perhaps a test to make the code reach the usleep(1000) can be written
using injection points (49cd2b93d7db)?

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"La experiencia nos dice que el hombre peló millones de veces las patatas,