Re: MERGE ... WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MERGE ... WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE
Date: 2024-01-26 15:57:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Jan-26, Dean Rasheed wrote:

> I think it has had a decent amount of review and all the review
> comments have been addressed. I'm not quite sure from Alvaro's last
> comment whether he was implying that he thought it was ready for
> commit.

Well, firstly this is clearly a feature we want to have, even though
it's non-standard, because people use it and other implementations have
it. (Eh, so maybe somebody should be talking to the SQL standard
committee about it). As for code quality, I didn't do a comprehensive
review, but I think it is quite reasonable. Therefore, my inclination
would be to get it committed soonish, and celebrate it widely so that
people can test it soon and complain if they see something they don't
like.

I have to say that I find the idea of booting patches as Returned with
Feedback just because of inactivity (as opposed to unresponsive authors)
rather wrong-headed, and I wish we didn't do it.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/