Re: Add PQsendSyncMessage() to libpq

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Anthonin Bonnefoy <anthonin(dot)bonnefoy(at)datadoghq(dot)com>, Anton Kirilov <antonvkirilov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add PQsendSyncMessage() to libpq
Date: 2024-01-16 13:55:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Jan-16, Michael Paquier wrote:

> I've applied the patch with all these modifications to move on with
> the subject.

Thanks!

> On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 10:49:56AM +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Looking again at the largish comment that's now atop
> > pqPipelineSyncInternal(), I think most of it should be removed -- these
> > things should be explained in the SGML docs, and I think they are, in
> > the "Using Pipeline Mode" section. We can just have the lines this
> > patch is adding.
>
> Hmm. The first two sentences about being able to submit more commands
> to the pipeline are documented in the subsection "Issuing Queries".
> The third sentence is implied in the second paragraph of this
> subsection. The 4th paragraph of the comment where sync commands
> cannot be issued until all the results from the pipeline have been
> consumed is mentioned in the first paragraph in "Using Pipeline Mode".
> So you are right that this could be entirely removed.

(I'm pretty sure that the history of this comment is that Craig Ringer
wrote it for his prototype patch, and then I took the various parts and
struggled to add them as SGML docs as it made logical sense. So if
there's anything in the comment that's important and not covered by the
docs, that would be a docs bug.) I agree with your findings.

> How about the attached to remove all that, then?

Looks good, thank you.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)