Re: tablecmds.c/MergeAttributes() cleanup

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tablecmds.c/MergeAttributes() cleanup
Date: 2024-01-12 10:32:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Jan-11, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> If you look closely at InsertPgAttributeTuples and accompanying code, it
> all looks a bit archaic. They seem to be treating TupleDesc as a
> glorified array of Form_pg_attribute elements in a convenient packaging.
> It's probably cleaner to change these APIs so that they deal with a
> Form_pg_attribute array, and not TupleDesc anymore. But we can hack on
> that some other day.

In addition, it also occurs to me now that maybe it would make sense to
change the TupleDesc implementation to use a List of Form_pg_attribute
instead of an array, and do away with ->natts. This would let us change
all "for ( ... natts ...)" loops into foreach_ptr() loops ... there are
only five hundred of them or so --rolls eyes--.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El sudor es la mejor cura para un pensamiento enfermo" (Bardia)