Re: Problem with pg_hba.conf file in Postgres 7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: April Carvalho <acarvalh(at)brave(dot)cs(dot)uml(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dan MacNeil <omacneil(at)brave(dot)cs(dot)uml(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Problem with pg_hba.conf file in Postgres 7.3
Date: 2004-01-21 20:11:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

April Carvalho <acarvalh(at)brave(dot)cs(dot)uml(dot)edu> writes:
> I've been trying to fix a problem with my pg_hba.conf file.
> For some reason, when using an external file when declaring
> a list of users that can see a database, postgress is giving
> me a syntax error.

It seems to work for me with 7.4.1 --- but the @-inclusion syntax
is fairly recent. I'm not sure if it is supported in 7.3.*.
What PG version are you using?

> I think the problem may be the file itself, but there's nothing in the
> postgres docs that say how this file should be formatted.

It's just a free-format list of names. Either of these should work:

user1 user2 user3

user1
user2
user3

I think you can have comments too.

[ thinks... ] Are you remembering to SIGHUP the postmaster after
changing the file contents? It won't notice a change otherwise.