Re: Writing SRF

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jorge Arevalo <jorgearevalo(at)gis4free(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL - General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Writing SRF
Date: 2010-04-28 17:00:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Jorge Arevalo <jorgearevalo(at)gis4free(dot)org> writes:
> I'm writing a SRF following the example from
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/xfunc-c.html (section
> 34.9.10). In the example, in the code executed in first call, we get
> the number of tuples to be returned, and no more. Then, in each call,
> a new tuple is allocated and returned, until reach max_calls.

You don't have to do it that way, by any means. max_calls is just
a field you can use if you feel like it --- it's not going to be
looked at by anything outside your SRF. If you don't want to determine
the number of result rows at the start, just ignore max_calls, and
use whatever method is convenient to decide that you're done
returning rows.