Re: GUC names in messages

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com, alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com, laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at, peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, daniel(at)yesql(dot)se, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC names in messages
Date: 2023-11-30 06:29:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:59:21 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> > Patch 0003 now uses a "%s%s%s" format specifier with GUC_FORMAT macro
> > in guc.c, as recently suggested by Michael [1].
>
> I cannot think about a better idea as these strings need to be
> translated so they need three %s.

In this patch, the quotation marks cannot be changed from double
quotes.

After a brief review of the use of quotation marks in various
languages, it's observed that French uses guillemets (« »), German
uses lower qutation marks („ “), Spanish uses angular quotation marks
(« ») or alternatively, lower quotetaion marks. Japanese commonly uses
corner brackets (「」), but can also adopt double or single quotation
marks in certain contexts. I took a look at the backend's fr.po file
for a trial, and it indeed seems that guillemets are being used.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center